When it comes to dental care, there are a lot of misconceptions about the use of mouthwash. Some people think that mouthwash only makes your breath fresh, and others worry about the alcohol that mouthwashes can contain. In reality, there are many benefits to implementing mouthwash into your dental care practices.
Here are some of the main benefits you will find when using mouth wash:
- Fewer Cavities –Mouthwashes with fluoride help to reduce the risk of cavities, thereby helping you maintain proper dental hygiene. This is a big reason why people add mouthwash into their dental care practices.
- Fights Gum Disease- Diseases such as gingivitis can leave tooth sockets inflamed or infected because of plaque. Mouthwash can help to prevent food from lingering on teeth.
- Helps Ease Canker Sores– Mouthwash has the ability to reduce the pain from canker sores. Mouthwash cuts down on the amount of bacteria that inflames an area.
When you consider buying a mouthwash, it’s important to research all the options that are available to you. Certain mouthwashes are designed for certain dental conditions, so make sure that you select a mouthwash that is right for you. Common options in stores are mouthwashes with fluoride, alcohol or chlorhexidine.
The Negative Effects of Mouthwash
While there are many positive benefits from mouthwash, there are also a few negative effects to consider as well.
- Can Irritate Canker Sores– While for some people, mouthwash can help ease canker sores for other people, it acts as an irritant. If the alcohol content of the mouthwash is too high, it can start to agitate the pain even further.
- Only Hides Bad Breath– Mouthwash isn’t a cure for bad breath. If you don’t practice proper dental care, the effects of a mouthwash will only be short lived.
Ultimately, your dentist can work with you to decide if you should use mouthwash. For individuals with periodontal disease or those who are cavity-prone, specific mouthwashes can be beneficial. You will only know if you can benefit from mouthwash if you see your dentist.
Make and Appointment with Annapolis Family Dental Care
If you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Family Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today!
Our diligent knowledge of all dental treatments and extensive experience in all fields of dentistry, ensure Annapolis Dental is best suited to care for your oral health. You can also follow Annapolis Dental Care on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.