When one of your teeth is damaged beyond repair, typically from decay, to the point that it causes you pain and threatens your oral health, a dental crown may be your best solution. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over the damaged tooth, covering it and protecting it from further damage. Unlike implants, crowns do not get to the root of the problem (pun intended). Still, crowns are an effective way to enhance your smile by covering cracked or decayed teeth.
Additional reasons a dental crown may be needed include:
- To support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- To cover a dental implant
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- And much more!
Cosmetic Dentistry in Annapolis
At Annapolis Dental Care, our outstanding staff is devoted to caring for your oral situation and will ensure your dental visit is an enjoyable one. We perform our cosmetic dentistry procedures – like crowns – in house. The dental crown process requires multiple visits.
- First, the dentist will examine your teeth and take several X-rays to ensure the tooth’s roots and the surrounding bone is strong enough to justify a dental crown. If the tooth is strong enough, the dentist will file down the tooth along the chewing surface and sides to make room for the crown. Next, the dentist will make an impression of the tooth, as well as the teeth above and below to ensure the dental crown does not affect your bite. These impressions will be used to make the crown. You will then receive a temporary crown until yours is ready.
- Upon your second visit, your dentist will remove the temporary crown and fit the permanent crown.
In the end you have your full smile back and the ability to speak and eat the way you always have.
If you have any questions about Dental Crowns or Cosmetic Dentistry, or if you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today! Our diligent knowledge of all dental treatments and extensive experience in all fields of dentistry, ensure Annapolis Dental is best suited to care for your oral health. You can also follow Annapolis Dental Care on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.