Believe it or not, saliva actually plays an important role in your overall oral health. Saliva moistens and cleanses our mouth, helps digest food, and even controls bacteria and fungi. I bet you didn’t know saliva did all that, did you? Conversely, when we don’t produce enough saliva, dry mouth can result, bringing a plethora of oral health issues along with it.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
Aside from the above symptoms, dry mouth can also increase the risk of more serious oral health issues, including gingivitis, tooth decay, and infections.
Annapolis Dental Care: Treating Dry Mouth in Annapolis, Maryland
There are several ways in which to treat dry mouth, including:
- If you feel your dry mouth may be a side effect of a medication, consult with your doctor or dentist.
- Your dentist may prescribe an oral rinse to restore moisture.
- Your doctor can also prescribe medication that stimulates saliva production.
There are also several home remedies to try, including:
- Chewing sugar-free gum
- Drinking plenty of water
- Brushing with a fluoride toothpaste
- Breathing through your nose as much as possible
- Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to your home
- Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute
- Visiting the dentist frequently
During your dental checkup with Dr. Steckler of Annapolis Dental Care, we’ll clean and polish your teeth as well as remove plaque and tartar from your gums. While we’re doing this, we will also check your teeth and gums for any signs of more serious problems, such as dry mouth. We can also provide fluoride treatments to keep your tooth enamel strong and avoid decay.
If you have any questions about Dry Mouth and Dental Care, or if you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today!
“I have been going to see Dr. Steckler for years now. Love the staff here, everyone is so pleasant.” – Gina