There’s nothing quite as satisfying as having a beautiful, white smile. Keeping your smile bright is the hard part, though. You have to make sure that you get your teeth cleaned regularly, eat the right foods, and avoid consuming things that will stain your teeth. You probably already know that coffee, tea, red wine, and soda are pretty big culprits for causing stains on your teeth, but did you know that there are other foods that you should avoid as well? We’ve compiled a list of some of the biggest troublemakers for keeping your smile white.
- Fruit juices – We’re looking at the dark fruit juices, especially. It’s a good idea to stay away from cranberry and grape juice. Orange juice, pineapple juice, and other acidic juices can also strip your teeth and cause decay, which can cause your teeth to become gray. You’re better off sticking to whole fruits with a lot of water content to offset the sugar.
- Popsicles – Popsicles are great, there’s no denying it, but if they stain the rest of your mouth, you can believe that they’re probably going to stain your teeth as well. Try something light colored or go with a natural fruit and yogurt pop. Make sure that you also never chew on ice. It can cause your teeth to weaken and break.
- Dark sauces – Sauces like soy sauce and balsamic vinegar can stain your teeth very easy. Instead of balsamic, try something in a light color, like olive oil or Italian dressing. As for soy sauce, the sodium content alone is bad for your health, but when you mix it with something that stains your teeth, it’s that much worse. It’s best to avoid it altogether if you can.
- Pasta sauce – The biggest culprit is marinara sauce. Tomatoes and tomato bases sauces stain your teeth very easily because of their hue. There is a secret to avoiding the stain with sauces, though. Eat a salad before dinner. Leafy greens help place a film over your teeth that can easily repel the stains.
- Curry – If you like Middle Eastern food, chances are you know the appeal of curry. But did you also know that it can stain your teeth yellow? You’ll notice that it stains food in any dish you put it in and it’ll do the same to your teeth. If you eat curry, there’s no way to avoid the stain. Just make sure that you brush your teeth shortly after you eat.
Eating the right foods can make all the difference in the world when it comes to the color of your teeth. If your teeth are already stained, it may be time to invest in professional teeth whitening. At Annapolis Dental Care, we know the importance of a white smile. Make an appointment for a consultation with Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today! We look forward to helping you get your whitest smile back!
Source: Everyday Health