It’s late at night or a weekend morning and your dentist’s office is closed. Unfortunately, you’re suffering from a nasty toothache that doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. You grab your smartphone or laptop and search for toothache home remedies. However, how effective are toothache home remedies, and are they a good idea?
Why Do People Use Toothache Home Remedies?
The three main reasons that people attempt to use toothache home remedies are:
- They’re afraid of going to the dentist or haven’t been in a long time. They also might not have insurance and fear the amount that it will cost to fix the toothache.
- They have faith in natural remedies and trust them over modern medicine.
- They don’t have the time to make a dental appointment, take a day off of work, and go to the appointment. As a result, they keep putting it off. This reason is a common cause of toothaches in the first place!
Why Are Toothaches Caused?
Before you can understand whether or not toothache home remedies work, you need to understand the actual causes of toothaches. The most common causes of toothaches include:
- Pulp inflammation inside of your tooth
- Erosion of your tooth enamel
- Bruxism, or tooth grinding at night
- Periodontitis or gum disease
- Sinus pressure or sinus infection
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
- Heart attack
As you can guess, none of these problems go away on their own, so the best solution is always to visit your dentist immediately.
What Toothache Home Remedies Are Effective?
Some toothache home remedies are temporarily effective, including:
- Clove Oil: A drop or two on a cotton ball applied to the affected area can temporarily numb the area and soothe discomfort.
- Garlic: Chewing a clove of garlic in your mouth can temporarily relieve the pain, depending on what the cause is
- Vanilla Extract: Applying vanilla to the affected area can temporarily soothe the pain, but once the alcohol evaporates it will be right back.
Keep Your Teeth Pain Free with Annapolis Dental Center
Whether you need a tooth extraction or just want to get a dental health check-up, Annapolis Dental Center has the expertise and compassion to work with you to improve your oral health and get you smiling again. Your comfort and health are our top priorities, so we go above and beyond to make our patients happy with the services that they receive. To set up your appointment today, give us a call at (410) 571-5014 or visit us online. For more oral health tips for you and the whole family, visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and check us out on Yelp!