What are Receding Gums?
Receding gums is exactly what it sounds like. It is the process in which the tissue surrounding the teeth slowly wears away, exposing more and more of the tooth and making it easier for disease-causing bacteria to build up.
Receding gums may be one of the first signs of gum disease.
Why do Gums Recede?
- Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease): The leading cause of receding gums, periodontal disease, a bacterial gum infection, destroys gum tissue and supporting bone.
- Genes: Studies show that 30% of the population may be genetically predisposed to gum disease.
- Aggressively Brushing your Teeth: Wait, what? That’s right, brushing your teeth too hard can cause the enamel on your teeth to wear away and cause the gums to recede.
- Tobacco: Tobacco use promotes plaque, which, in turn, can cause receding gums.
- And more!
If you think your gums are receding, make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. If left untreated, the supporting tissue and bone structures of the teeth can be severely damaged, eventually resulting in tooth loss.
How do you Treat Receding Gums?
- Dental Cleaning: By deep cleaning the affected area, your dentist may be able to reverse the effects of gum recession.
- Gum Surgery: If deep cleaning doesn’t work, surgery may be your only treatment option.
Proper treatments can repair the gums and prevent further damage. However, the best for of treatment is prevention!
What are the best ways to Prevent Receding Gums?
- Dental Hygiene: First and foremost, proper dental hygiene is the easiest way to prevent receding gums.
- Regular Dental Visits: The best way to avoid receding gums is to schedule routine cleanings that will keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible. We recommend everyone come in for a routine dental checkup every six months.
If you have any questions about Receding Gums, Gum Disease, or if you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today!
For over 20 years, Dr. Steckler and his team have been practicing comprehensive Family Dental Care. Our outstanding staff is devoted to caring for your oral situation and will ensure your dental visit is an enjoyable one, focusing on total patient comfort. We are motivated to offer cutting edge dentistry techniques and processes. Our committed staff will guide you in your pursuit of the perfect smile.
“At Dr. Steckler’s office, we understand that most patients are fearful of the dentist. Your comfort and care are our greatest concern.”