When it comes to good oral hygiene, who knows better than your dentist? This is why Dr. Steckler of Annapolis Dental Care has outlined some of the top oral hygiene tips to help keep your teeth white and your smile bright.
10 Oral Hygiene Tips
- Good Oral Hygiene begins in Childhood: The oral hygiene habits we develop as children stick with us throughout our lives. Teaching your child about proper oral care will set them up for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums!
- Brushing and Flossing: Brushing is your first line of defense against oral health problems. And, as you most likely know, it is recommended that you brush at least twice a day. However, brushing alone is not enough. This is why you need to floss once a day, if not more.
- Fluoride: The right amount of fluoride can do a lot of good. But just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, it is all about finding that amount of fluoride that is just right. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel, making teeth less susceptible to decay. But too much fluoride can be a bad thing.
- Sealant: Your dentist can apply a thin protective sealant to your permanent molars. This will help prevent decay in the pits and fissures.
- Chewing Gum: Chewing gum after every meal can also help cut down on plaque. This increases saliva flow and helps wash excess food debris from your mouth.
- Eat Healthy: The food you put into your mouth directly affects your oral health. So be smart and eat healthy.
- Sugary Foods are a No–No: When the mouth breaks down sugars, it produces acids which eat away at tooth enamel. Because of this, it is best to avoid sugary foods.
- Avoid Tobacco: Tobacco, smokeless or not, is horrible for your oral health.
- Mouth Guards: When playing sports, it is important to protect your teeth from blows. This is why mouth guards are so important.
- Visit your Dentist Regularly: The best way to avoid painful and uncomfortable procedures is to schedule routine cleanings that will keep your teeth and gums healthy. We recommend everyone come in for a routine cleaning every six months.
If you have any questions about Good Oral Hygiene, or if you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today!
Dr. Steckler’s philosophy is to give patients individualized attention and to make their experiences as comfortable as possible.
Source: Healthy Teeth for Life: 10 Tips for Families WebMD