Daily brushing and flossing have become so ingrained in our society that, for most adults, our oral hygiene routines are second nature. But that means we don’t think twice about whether we’re caring for our teeth properly. In fact, if done incorrectly, brushing and flossing can have a detrimental effect on our health. As easy as it may seem to do, very few of us brush our teeth as well as we could. Thankfully, where there are mistakes, there are ways to fix them. So, if you think you’ve been doing it wrong, here are several tips that you can follow to help your teeth last a lifetime.
- Place your toothbrush bristles at a 45-degree angle to the gum line.
- Use just enough pressure to feel bristles against your gums and between teeth.
- Brush all inner and outer tooth surfaces several times, using short, circular strokes and a scrubbing motion. Be sure to brush along the gum line as well.
- Brush chewing surfaces straight on. Clean the inside surfaces of front teeth by tilting the brush vertically and making up-and-down strokes with the front of the brush.
- Your toothbrush can only clean one or two teeth at a time. Move your brush frequently to reach every tooth and make sure you brush for two minutes.
- After brushing teeth, remember to brush your tongue. Oral bacteria can remain in taste buds!
- Start with 18″ of floss. Wind most of it around one of your middle fingers and the rest around the same finger on your other hand.
- Hold the floss tightly with about 1″ of floss between your hands. Glide floss between teeth with a gentle sawing motion.
- You’ll feel resistance when the floss reaches your gum line. Gently curve it into a C against your tooth.
- Hold the floss against each tooth, gently scraping the tooth’s side while moving the floss away from the gum. Repeat on all teeth.
- If you haven’t flossed recently, your gums may feel sore or bleed. Don’t worry, after 5-6 days, you’ll remove the built-up bacteria, and your gums will feel great.
KEEP YOUR TEETH HEALTHY WITH ANNAPOLIS DENTAL CARE
Whether you need a regular check-up or a tooth extracted, Annapolis Dental Care has the expertise and compassion to work with you on improving your oral health. Your comfort and health are our top priorities, so we go above and beyond to make our patients happy and to provide the highest quality care. To set up an appointment today, please give us a call at 410-571-5014 or visit us online. For more oral health tips for you and your family follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube!