Over time, your once bright smile may start to fade. Your pearly whites many not look so pearly. Your once…well, you get the idea. Without proper attention, your smile may begin to show its age, Luckily, there are several simple steps you can take to help improve your smile and restore much of its lost luster.
Simple Oral Health Tips for help brighten your Smile
- If you Smoke, Stop: Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your teeth. The nicotine and tar in your cigarettes are the primary culprit behind your discolored teeth. These substances are also slowly eating away at your gums, increasing your risk of tooth loss and even cancer.
- Brush the Right Way: Brushing is not enough. You must ensure you are brushing the right way. For starters, you should be brushing at least twice a day…more if possible. As for brushing the right way, you should angle the brush 45 degrees toward your gum line, and use gentle, circular strokes.
- Flossing is Fundamental: Brushing alone does not get the job done. You will need to also floss. Use about two inches of floss between your fingers and keep the floss tight against your tooth to break up plaque.
- Avoid Sugary Foods: Sugar fuels bacteria and acid production, helping form plaque, which slowly east away at your teeth.
- Visit the Dentist Twice a Year: During these visits, your dentist or dental hygienist will clean and polish your teeth as well as remove plaque and tartar from your gums. Regular trips to the dentist can also help catch oral health problems, like tooth decay, gum disease, trauma, or cancer, at an early stage when they’re still very treatable.
If you have any questions about Oral Health, or if you wish to schedule an appointment, please contact Annapolis Dental Care by calling (410) 267-0766 or visit AnnapolisDentalCare.com today! You can also follow Annapolis Dental Care on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.